Re: conversion to dalvik format failed with error 1

Yeah, a few quiet hours on the weekend and time to code.

I’m a little behind, but I’ve been thinking about mobile alot lately. So it was time to upgrade my Android SDK to 1.5.

First thing I do is upgrade the Android Developer Tools for Eclipse. Inside the Eclipse “Software Updates” wizard, I can see that I was using ADT 0.8.0, and the update site said that 0.9.2 is available. Everyone knows that it 0.1.2 better than the last version! So I do the Eclipse upgrade.

While that is going, I download the 1.5r1 SDK, and stick it in my java folder. Eclipse restarts, and I rebuild and >>BAM!<< error!:

conversion to dalvik format failed with error 1

Whoops. Apparently this has to do with some internal Eclipse stuff caching the old ADT 0.8.0 stuff, and the poor Android Tools getting confused. Silly Robot.

Restarting Eclipse with the -clean option fixed it for me. Apparently the correct way to upgrade the ADT is to uninstall the old 0.8.0, and install the new 0.9.2.

Hope this helps everyone out there. Happy coding!

P.S. Hey, WordPress is bugging me to upgrade to v2.8. Wish all upgrades were as seamless as the WordPress one.

7 thoughts on “Re: conversion to dalvik format failed with error 1

  1. Thanks man – this blog post helped me get started after upgrading…. Thanks.

  2. glad this helped someone out! thanks for leaving a comment.

    sadly, i havent had much time to get back to android, now that I’ve got the SDK upgraded. :( maybe this weekend…

  3. This actually helped me out also! Great post :)

    Hopefully you found the time on that weekend to play around with the SDK a little more!

  4. Pingback: Type Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1 « Hopbit's Dev Blog

  5. Pingback: Type Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1 | Continous Integration

Leave a Reply